top of page


The First team made the long trip to Bury St Edmunds to play Sporting 87 Reserves, who have had a strong start to the season.

There was a heavy shower before ko so the surface was wet on top, although still firm underneath. The match was quite scrappy early on as both teams struggled to settle, and very few chances were created.

Just before half time Sporting did have the ball in the net after a flowing break, but the goal was ruled out for offside. HT 0-0.

As the second half progressed the game opened up and around the hour mark we had a great 10 minute spell where we were well on top and pushing for a goal. Joe Miller almost scored with a fierce drive that was palmed away by the keeper, and other chances unfortunately missed the target.

We then had the controversial and turning point of the match. A great run by Ryan Everington down the left saw him dribble past two defenders and cut the ball back for Joe Moore (sponsored by Xtra Time Sports Development) to slot home. However the sharp eyed linesman put his flag up to indicate that the ball had crossed the line before the cut back, even though it was on the opposite side of the pitch, and no other player appealed for it. The ref had little option but to side with his assistant and the goal was ruled out.

That knocked us and Sporting then applied some pressure, but we stood firm. In the dying minutes we almost snatched the winner as a good move released Isaac Page (sponsored by C Page Motors) on the left but his cross shot was deflected agonisingly wide by a defender.

So a very competitive match frustratingly ended goalless, in particular as we felt we had a perfectly good goal disallowed.

On reflection this was a well earned point against a strong side who are at the top end of the table. A second clean sheet in two games shows we are difficult to beat, but there is still room for improvement as our play often broke down in the final third. It is still early days and 4 points from the first two games is a decent return.

The Reserves travelled to Division 3 Bacton Utd 89 Reserves in the Cup. A valiant effort ended in a 5-1 defeat but they kept going until the end and were rewarded with a goal scored by Sam MacGregor.

Next week sees the First team on their travels again, this time at Elmswell, and the Reserves have a home match at Carlton Park against Kesgrave Kestrals A.


bottom of page