top of page


The First team visited Elmswell for the second time in two weeks this time in the League Cup.

Our previous visit ended in a comfortable 4-0 victory but it was immediately clear that this was a completely different Elmswell side and that we were in for a much harder match this time.

We struggled to settle early on with passes going astray and Elmswell pressing high. They had several corners which were pumped into our box but our keeper and the defence dealt with them well.

We also lost our captain for the day Kyle Horner early on with a hamstring injury and had to reshuffle the defence. Then on around the 20 minute mark another corner found an unmarked player who headed into the net, and we found ourselves 1-0 down.

Immediately from the restart we went up the other end and a cross from the right found Kyle Messenger (sponsored by Ensors Accountants LLP) in the centre of the goal, but unfortunately he skewed his shot wide of the post.

We then lost Isaac Page (sponsored by C Page Motors) to a flailing elbow which the ref deemed accidental, and Isaac was forced to leave the field due to the blood. When an elbow hits with such force that it splits open a players lip surely that is reckless regardless of intent?

As the half progressed we began to get a foothold in the match but could not find the equaliser before half time.

We started the second half on the front foot and soon began creating chances. Jordan Payne (sponsored by The Railway Tavern) headed wide from a corner and Will Stebbings (sponsored by R&R Carpentry) had a fantastic shot tipped around the post by the Elmswell keeper.

We finally drew level on around the 65th minute when the keeper inadvertently deflected into his own goal a cross by Joe Moore (sponsored by Xtra Time Developments).

We continued to pile on the pressure and an Elmswell defender got himself sin binned. We made use of the extra man and created a great second goal through a cool finish by Rob Stephenson (sponsored by Jeffery and Associates).

The Elmswell players were now struggling, with some going down with cramp, having put in so much effort early on. We continued to create chances with Isaac (who had come back on having stopped the bleeding!) flashing a shot just past the post, and Ryan Everington with a long range effort going wide.

Elmswell rarely threatened and we saw out the match with a 2-1 win to take us into the next round.

In summary, a well deserved victory in the end after a slow start. We could have won by more but once we went ahead we were pretty comfortable.

The Reserves faced Elmswell Reserves at Carlton Park and were unfortunately on the wrong end of a 5-0 score line.

Next week sees the First team finally at home again against Sporting 87 Reserves who we drew 0-0 with a few weeks ago. It does seem a crazy quirk of the fixture list that we should have played the same team twice within our first five fixtures!

The Reserves travel to Stowupland Falcons A looking to get back to winning ways.


bottom of page