top of page


A big match at Carlton Park as the First team, in second, took on third placed Kirton Athletic.

Both teams traded blows early on without creating any real clear cut chances, but on the 15 minutes mark we opened them up with Joe Miller heading just wide from a cross by Will Stebbings (sponsored by R&R Carpentry).

Both teams had a few long shots at goal but nothing troubling the respective keepers, however after around 25 minutes we believed we should have had a penalty when Isaac Page (sponsored by C Page Motors) was taken down on the edge of the area, but unfortunately only a free kick was given just outside.

The match became fragmented with lots of fouls as our opponents tried to bully us, but we stood up to this and in fact it was their players who had to keep going off injured.

Just before half time Joe Murphy shot straight at the keeper from a tight angle after a mazy run, which proved to be the last chance of the half.

Half time 0-0 which was probably fair as neither team had taken control of the match.

We started the second half on the front foot and it was not long before Taylor Gissing shot just wide from distance.

On 55 minutes we did have the ball in the net through Will Stebbings, but unfortunately it was ruled out for offside.

On 70 minutes Joe Murphy shot just wide from outside the area with the keeper stranded having run out of goal to clear the ball, and with 10 minutes left Dale Pearse (sponsored by M&R Cars) header straight at the keeper.

Kirton had created very little, although stand in keeper Nick Whiting made two excellent catches when under pressure from high balls, but minutes before the end they had their best chance of the match when a mis-hit shot found a player at the back post but he headed wide.

A tight match ended 0-0 and, whilst we shaded it, we didn't quite do enough to get the victory. The result however leaves us clear in second place and, with 8 matches remaining, in prime position to push on for promotion.

The Reserves made the long trip to Elmswell Reserves but unfortunately were defeated 5-2, with our goals both scored by Eddie Hadley (sponsored by M&R Cars).

Next week sees the First team travelling to Bramford Utd, whilst the Reserves do not have a match.


bottom of page